My Community
September 02, 2014, 06:31:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 6/29/2011 RakNet 4.022 released.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Seperate Interface for Lobby Email storage  (Read 3312 times)
kbar

View Profile WWW
« on: December 17, 2010, 06:41:58 PM »

It would be great if the Mail system could be broken out into a seperate interface to allow storage of data (particularly the additional binary data) in other systems like the Amazon S3. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the existing system stores email data directly in the Postgresql database. If this could work via an interface then it would allow me to write a different storage system (to Amazon S3, File System or another database existing on a different system).
Report to moderator   Logged
Rak'kar
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 10:31:57 AM »

Amazon S3 does not accept incoming UDP connections. So it is useless as a RakNet server.
kbar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 03:53:43 AM »

Recently I have inquired about support for RakNet usage with some of Amazon's features. I am a bit confused at the moment and was wondering if you could clear things up for me.

Firstly will RakNet run on EC2?  You have mentioned that Amazon S3 does not have the ability to accept UDP packets. That is correct since Amazon S3 is not a server. Its a storage system.  But does RakNet work under Amazon EC2? I have noticed other networking packages (such as Photon) claim to work under Amazon EC2 using UDP.  If you are unsure about this then that is ok, I will be able to run some tests myself to see if it actually does work, but I would rather not go through this process if it has already been found not to work.

If it is found not to work under EC2 then my next choice is going to be a dedicated server at HiVelocity. If anyone reading this thread has had any "good" experiences with them (or other dedicated server providers) then it would be great if you could let me know.

Thanks,
kbar.
Rak'kar
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 04:28:30 PM »

I've tried it and it doesn't work.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: